Interested in starting aikido near to you?- contact AIKIDO SOUTH AFRICA® and we will start the journey....
Earlier I discussed with you the challenges facing aikido today in South Africa given its various constraints and management in the past. Its history as a martial art in South Africa is unique in that unlike the other arts such as Judo and Karate where the opportunities were developed and capitalised on in the interest of the greater good, even with their best effort those responsible for the dissemination of aikido over the years in South Africa sadly lacked the required impetus and strategic direction.
Notwithstanding this legacy, the further spreading of aikido in South Africa is not insurmountable. Here I need your help. I understand that first price for those interested would be to join an exisiting ASA affiliated dojo near to you. If too far, it is however still possible to start and aikido dojo near you or around any location in South Africa - with a little effort, together we can make it work. In this respect I will offer my technical guidance and teaching in line with that of Fujimoto Shihan, and in return I would need people willing to take some responsibility and make the effort to study this wonderful art called aikido.
In order to start a new dojo or training in your area of interest, we simply need to consider the following:
- We would need at least 1 person (the dojo responsible) that can assist me in making arrangements and the organising of the dojo in or near the location you require.
- We need a venue (dojo) where we can put down mats and that could serve as dojo. A venue can typically be a hall (sports, school or church) or shared dojo with other exisiting martial arts, available 2 -3 times per week (2 hours per session). First price if we can leave the mats down, but if not possible we can put down and lift the mats at every class.
- Mats will be made available should the other requirements be met.
- Marketing material from Aikido South Africa will be made available to support the dojo responsible to market aikido in the area of concern.
- Once above is established, the dojo information will be published on the central website www.aikidosa.co.za and further growth will continue.
- I understand that right now you are only interested in practicing aikido, but given the fact that you might be a little remote from where the current AIKIDO SOUTH AFRICA® dojo’s are, this might place a slight bigger responsibility on you (yes, we are all busy with work, family and life). This will mean that from time to time you would need to take the responsibility to teach the class. Although this might sound a bit daunting to you, teaching even the little you know will accelerate your own development significantly.
- How will I assist you?:
- I will personally visit your dojo (with some of my black belt students) on a frequent basis to assist you and give further technical guidance;
- Frequent weekend aikido seminars will be held in close proximity of (or at your dojo) to accelerate the aikido development of students;
- You and your students will have the opportunity to attend the annual seminar with our Chief Technical Advisor regularly;
- On request I will do aikido demonstrations to your target community/market;
- As dojo responsible you will receive special training instruction.
Yours in Aikido
Sensei Elroy Goliath (4th Dan) – ASA Chief Instructor